Monday, February 21, 2011

It's time...

I know I'm BEYOND massively late coming with these posts, but trust me I've been busy lol. I'M IN ITALY!!!! Man, there were some times last month where I thought it'd never happen, but I'm here nonetheless. Although I've seen numerous paintings, beautiful churches, and developed a taste for wine, my first post won't be about any of those things. It's about silence...yes, SILENCE. Silence provides moments to reflect on everything going on. Silence provides a cushion for weariness. Silence provides food for thought. Silence leaves room for silent tears and screams. Silence leaves room for secret smiles and memories. It's in silence that everything is brought to a head; where you are to yourself and the universe, and all you can do...is think. This trip hasn't provided very many of these moments, I've had to wrestle and run away for them. I know at times, I can seem very distant to my fellow travelers, but I need that time to get my head straight. To remind myself that little annoyances I may notice, or that I may be the source of, don't outweigh the gratefulness I have of just...BEING.
Right now we're staying at Hotel Firenze, and there is a terrace on the roof. Saturday, a few hours before dinner, I ran away there to wrestle with my thoughts. I grabbed one of the leaning chairs at a table and just sat. Suddenly there was a beautiful operatic soprano coming from a home not far away from my hotel. While listening, I began to silently re-center myself. Bells began ringing, noting that it was 1:30, and I sent up a prayer. A prayer of covering that stretched over everything my mind could think of. A prayer to silence not only my voice, but lingering expectations for this trip. I asked God to drop the illusions that I had of a perfect trip, and what I could get out of it. The reply to me was simple..."Breathe, and absorb." So I did. Today was similar to that one, but as I type this, I am given a silent reminder..."Breathe and absorb." No matter where we are, and no matter if we are abroad or at home, this is a daily utterance that nature sings to us. Never forget it. It keeps your feet rooted to earth, allows your spirit to soar past heaven grazing God; it lets water of gratefulness freely flow from within, and fire for living to warm and heal your soul when the world chills you. Silence is a gift..and Venice a reminder of what's been given.


No comments:

Post a Comment